Albert Ernest Doyle papers
Scope and Contents
The A.E. Doyle Papers consist of correspondence, photographs, drawings and work orders of the remodel of the Arlington Club of Portland. Additionally, the papers include general budget reports for the Club. The Papers also include the correspondence, including an inventory, of A.E. Doyle’s personal architectural library, purchased by Reed College in 1992.
There are miscellaneous files: a touring map of Scotland, some architectural drawings by Doyle, as well as budget and correspondence about the Portland Press Club and the Rainier Club. Photographs of the Doyle architectural team at work in their studios are included, from 1926 and 1938, as well as a view of the A.E. Doyle and Associate’s Library.
- 1877 - 1928
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Albert Ernest Doyle was born in Santa Cruz, CA, July 27, 1877. He apprenticed with the architectural firm of Whidden & Lewis, located in Portland, Oregon in 1891, and stayed with them for 14 years. He took time off, studying for two years at Columbia University under Donn Barber, returning to Portland in 1903. He spent most of 1906 in Europe, studying at the American School of Archaeology in Athens, and touring many countries.
He partnered with William B. Patterson in 1908, forming Doyle & Patterson, adding another partner in 1911, which changed the firm’s name to Doyle, Patterson & Beach. Beach left the next year, and the firms name changed back to Doyle & Patterson.
On January 5, 1911, Doyle was elected as Architect for Reed College. He designed the first buildings on the Reed College campus, as well as many in Portland and other Northwest cities. He was a member of the Arlington Club, on the Board of the Portland Art Museum, as well as a member of the Board of Regents at Reed College.
He died of Bright’s Disease on January 23, 1928.
4.5 Linear Feet (8 manuscript boxes and 1 oversize box.)
Albert Ernest Doyle (1877-1928) became one of the best-known Portland architects of his time, designing the Multnomah County Library and the U. S. National Bank Building, among others. He was picked as the Reed architect for the first decade of building on campus, including the iconic Old Dorm Block, Eliot Hall, Prexy, and the Woodstock Houses. His early architectural training was with Whidden and Lewis, then working with partner William Patterson. Later, Doyle was appointed to the Board of Regents at Reed and participated in many Portland groups.
Archives Main Shelving (L014), Range F Section 2.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The A.E. Doyle Papers were part of the A.E. Doyle Architectural Library purchased by Reed College in 1992 in part with a grant. Additional papers of Doyle and of his grandson Charles McMath about Doyle architecture were donated by great-grandson Glenn McMath in February, 2014.
Processed by Mark Kuestner February 10, 2010; Gay Walker July 29, 2014.
- Mark Kuestner and Gay Walker
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Reed College Special Collections and Archives Repository
3203 Southeast Woodstock Boulevard
Portland Oregon 97202-8199 United States